Confused… Don’t know the difference between new, pre reg or used? Let us explain and help you decide which you should buy.
Buying a car is a big decision and usually one that you don’t make again for at least a few years. With more choice than ever in the automotive market, buying a car is no longer a simple process. Long gone are the days of simply deciding whether you wanted a petrol or diesel engine, new or used and then visiting a dealership.
Now, in our online world you can do extensive research online to help you search for the perfect car. Plus you have a large variety of car manufacturers to choose from, offering a range of models from hatchbacks to SUVs, and a host of optional features and add-ons from special edition alloys to in-car satellite navigation. And that’s before you even consider if you want a new, pre reg or used car.
There’s benefits to all of the above and we’ve summarised them below to help you decide which the best option for you is.
There’s nothing more exciting than ordering something and waiting for it to arrive, and this is the thrill you get if you purchase a brand new car.
After you’ve been into your local car dealership to look and compare models, test drove your preferred choice and then sat down with the sales executive to discuss the perfect deal, all you need to do is wait patiently for it to arrive.
For some people, the excitement of having a new reg plate outweighs any arguments in favour of pre reg or used cars. However, if you’re carefully considering your options take a look at the benefits of buying a new car:
- You’ll receive a manufacturer’s warranty – with some manufacturers now offering a warranty of up to seven years.
- You choose the specification – as when ordering a new car you can choose the colour, interior, wheels plus optional extras like satellite navigation, parking aids, safety features. All making the car fully personalised to your style.
- Outstanding finance offers… Low deposits, 0% APR. There’s a heap of brilliant finance deals to be had on new cars with the flexibility to meet your budget.
- That new car smell! New car smell air fresheners are so popular because there really isn’t anything like the smell of a new car.
- Uncovering hidden features which add to the pleasure of driving are part and parcel of exploring your new car.
‘Pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ cars are cars which dealers have bought directly from the manufacturers and registered to themselves for their own purpose.
These cars usually have an extremely low number of miles on the clock, have registration documents, a number plate and are sitting on the forecourt ready to be driven away. So, what are the perks of buying a pre reg car:
- Great discounts available.
- Quick delivery, no need to wait for your car to be ordered and delivered.
- The car will be like brand new – although it may have a small number of miles on the clock.
- All pre reg cars are fully maintained and managed by the dealership in line with the specific manufacturer’s standard… Almost like buying from eBay with the tagline “BNWT” (Brand New with Tags).
There is also another type of pre reg car available, ‘ex demo’ models. Tending to have more miles on the clock than other pre reg cars (there’s usually a capped amount of miles allowed), there are still great deals to be had on ex demo models so it is worthwhile bearing them in mind.
There is an opportunity to purchase pre reg or ex demo models cars at any time of the year. Call into one of our dealerships to explore the current range available.
A lot of people choose to buy a used car as they don’t want to experience an initial depreciation in value. Even with the advances in technology in recent years, the go-to place for browsing used cars is still Auto Trader. However, the growth of the internet has led to a number of third party sites become increasingly popular for car sales. With eBay following closely behind Auto Trader, as a large number of private sellers choose to list and sell their car through the auction site, alongside Car Gurus and Gumtree to name a few.
Understandably, a lot of people are nervous about buying a used car as they don’t know its history. However, at RMB we take away that worry as all our used vehicles undergo a third-party assessment that covers the car’s financial history and servicing schedule so you can drive away in full confidence.
Purchasing a used car comes with huge benefits to many motorists. Some simply don’t want to pay the price of a brand new car or feel they wouldn’t benefit from it. Whereas others simply prefer the design, style or specification of an older model in comparison with the newer alternative.
If you’re considering a used car as a choice for your next car, here’s a few benefits:
- A top of the range model may be out of your budget if bought brand new, whereas a used model with miles on the clock could well be more in line with the amount you’ve got to spend.
- Just because it’s used, doesn’t mean it’s second-rate. Used cars that have been well maintained offer excellent value for money.
- Finance can be readily available on used cars as well as new, with excellent deals available. Like at our specialist used car dealership RMB Autoparc.
- Any teething problems from the manufacturers or maintenance work needed will most likely have been dealt with by the previous owner.
- Depending on the age, most used cars will still have a manufacturer’s warranty available.
There you go, that’s our overview of new, pre-reg and used cars. Now, if you’re ready to start car shopping take a look at our range of new, pre reg or used cars or pop into one of our dealerships in Teesside, Northallerton and Darlington and speak to one of friendly sales executives.